Set in the fictional Canopy Kingdom, Skullgirls pits players against ranks of deadly but beautiful opponents in an attempt to control the enigmatic Skull Heart, a mysterious artifact with the power to bestow wishes – but not without a substantial price. Should the soul be less than pure, both the victor’s wish and her being shall be corrupted into a living nightmare that haunts humanity. She will be known as the Skullgirl, a monstrous entity of immense power.
Calling to mind old-school arcade fighters, it’s a one-of-a-kind, action-packed competition complete with awesome combos and an intriguing backstory.
Skullgirls has been further enhanced for its release on the PC, with best-in-class multiplayer support with GGPO and Steamworks. First and foremost among these enhancements is the addition of Lobby Play, featuring the innovative “All Play” which allows for multiple simultaneous fights within a lobby, reducing waiting to a minimum. Other additions include spectator mode, an art gallery and Steam trading card support.
Players that pre-order (opens August 1st) Skullgirls on PC will receive the Character Color Pack, featuring 5 new color palettes for each of the game’s eight core characters as well as beta access. The beta is meant to do more than give players a head start - the beta will be maintained in the long term so that players can try out and provide feedback on new characters and experimental balance changes.
PC players will also have access to five free DLC characters, keeping the game fresh with additions for at least a year. Each character will be released individually and will be free for 3 months, after which their price will increase to $5.
- Femme Fatales: Players can choose from eight inimitable characters, including amnesiac schoolgirl Filia and sassy circus performer Cerebella, as they fight their way through a gauntlet of deadly opponents in an attempt to control the enigmatic Skull Heart.
- Pretty as a Picture: Using Reverge Labs' proprietary sprite-based game engine, Skullgirls’ graphics combine 2D art with real-time lighting effects, a feature never before achieved in a game of its type. The Dark Deco visuals are drawn at twice the resolution usually shown on 1080p high-definition screens, allowing for more detailed characters and in-game effects.
- As You Wish: Players have various ways to battle it out in Skullgirls, including VS mode, arcade mode, story mode and training mode, encountering different aspects of the fighting experience with each type of gameplay.
- Battle it Out in the Canopy Kingdom: As players compete for the Skull Heart, they will fight in numerous themed stages throughout the Canopy Kingdom, including an evil underground labyrinth, an extravagant casino and a moving glass-windowed elevator with dramatic views of the city. Each stage combines static hand-drawn art with lively effects to create dynamic environments.
- Bragging Rights: Players can easily share their in-game victories with the rest of the world. Replays and highlights of matches can be uploaded directly to YouTube or Facebook; ideal for tournament recording or simply boasting a successful battle.
Skullgirls is available on PlayStation Network for $14.99 and on Xbox Live Arcade for 1200 Microsoft Points.
More articles about Skullgirls