Walking into Comic-Con, it’s not uncommon to be surrounded by people dressed as Mario, Link and other Nintendo video game legends. These iconic characters, and the games they star in, are beloved by generations of video game fans. People will be able to enjoy hands-on time with games like Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U, as well as Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds for Nintendo 3DS. In addition, Nintendo is hosting a variety of fun activities, including giveaways for The Wonderful 101 and one-of-a-kind experiences celebrating the Year of Luigi (available while supplies last).
“Comic-Con gives us a chance to interact with thousands of current and future Nintendo fans,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “We have fun games and activities for everyone, and Comic-Con will be the first time for many people to see how these games play in person.”
Nintendo will have a presence in two locations during Comic-Con. The first is on the show floor in the San Diego Convention Center, where the focus will be on Pikmin 3 for Wii U, with game-play kiosks and unique photo opportunities.
Visitors who do not have a Comic-Con badge can still join in the Nintendo fun by visiting the huge Nintendo Gaming Lounge at the adjacent San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina hotel. The list of playable games scheduled to appear includes:
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD from Nintendo
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze from Nintendo
- Super Mario 3D World from Nintendo
- Pikmin 3 from Nintendo
- New Super Luigi U from Nintendo
- Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games from Nintendo
- Rayman Legends from Ubisoft
- Skylanders SWAP Force from Activision
- Disney Infinity from Disney Interactive
- Sonic Lost World from SEGA
- The Wonderful 101 from Platinum Games
- Bayonetta 2 from Platinum Games
- Just Dance 2014 from Ubisoft
- Yoshi’s New Island from Nintendo
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds from Nintendo
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team from Nintendo
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D from Nintendo
- Sonic Lost World from SEGA
- Shin Megami Tensei IV from ATLUS (Index Digital Media, Inc.)
- Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
In addition to all of these games, visitors to the Nintendo booth and Gaming Lounge will encounter a host of fun activities. Attendees that stop by both the Nintendo booth at the convention center and the Nintendo Gaming Lounge at the Marriott Marquis & Marina hotel will receive a mask (while supplies last) designed to resemble the masks worn by the heroes of The Wonderful 101. Fans who dress up like the characters from The Wonderful 101 will be have a chance to win a Wii U system and copy of the game when it launches on Sept. 15. And at 2 p.m. on Sunday, July 21, Nintendo invites everyone who is dressed up or wearing a mask to gather for a group photo.
To get all those Pokémon trainers-in-the-making ready for the upcoming releases of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y for 3DS, a Pokémon-themed area will be set up in the Nintendo Gaming Lounge to allow visitors to relax, take photos with the Pikachu costumed character and participate in giveaways.
The yearlong celebration of the Year of Luigi will also continue at the show. Not only will visitors be able to play New Super Luigi U for Wii U and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team for Nintendo 3DS, but the Luigi costumed character also will be available to take memorable photos with visitors. Visitors will also be able to collect fun items such as Mario & Luigi: Dream Team pillow cases, Luigi hats and Year of Luigi coins (while supplies last), as well as sign the giant Luigi yearbook, a memento chronicling Luigi’s 30 years in video games.
The Nintendo booth (No. 235) is located at the San Diego Convention Center at 111 W. Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA, 92101. The Nintendo Gaming Lounge is located on the first floor of the Marriott Marquis & Marina hotel at 333 W. Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA, 92101.