Project Temporality is set in a dystopian future where mankind has used theories by Martyn J. Fogg to ignite Jupiter and create new habitable planets out of its moons. You are #87, an involuntary test subject at a mobile research base residing at the outskirts of Jupiter’s territory.
As you progress through the game you will be learning more about your backstory and your abilities. But most of all, you learn to think about time in a nonlinear way, which is necessary to solve the later puzzles.
Project Temporality is really all about trying to change the ways the player thinks about time. Instead of considering it a single arrow going forward as in physics, we are treating it more like a branching tree that can double back on itself and sprout new branches at your command.
Defrost Games has just launched a crowdfunding campaign via Indiegogo, looking to raise $20,000.
The money recieved from indiegogo would mostly go to the following things.
- Voice Acting
- Some licenses we need to finish the project
- Art costs for Concepts/Box shots
- Extra art assets, like building the station in 3D for cutscenes
- General polish
- Outsourcing for competences we lack in-house
- 5000$ Voice Acting Unlocked
- 10000$ Extra Models Unlocked
- 20000 $ Cutscenes Unlocked
- 30000 $ Improved Animations Unlocked
- Time manipulation: At any time you can reverse the current time to any earlier point in time, while in Time Manipulation Mode you can move time back and forward freely to find that perfect moment for you. So no more need for frustrating replays where you are trying to perform the same jump sequence over and over again. You simply rewind time for the last jump and then redo it. Thanks to this ability anyone can play project temporality without getting frustrated.
- Single Player Cooperation: This is the key part of the gameplay because you can exist in many parallel timelines using what we call time clones. It means that every time you need a friend's help in the game, you can be that friend. Creating multiple versions of yourself you can solve puzzles that would have been impossible for a single person. An important part is that you can spawn a new timeline with a new time clone at any time in the game. You are not forced to use specific positions that work for a limited time. Once you create a new timeline it’s there forever.
- Multiple true timelines: These time clones will continue to perform the actions you recorded. They are, however, still a part of the game world, and if you change the game world the end result will also change. For example, if you jumped on a platform and for some reason that platform is moved by another timeline, your character will jump and fall, not stand on an invisible platform as in other games featuring recorded actions.
- Temporality fielded objects: A temporality fielded object is an object that won’t be affected by your time manipulations, because it is inside a field that cancels out all timelines except the original one. It is the same kind of field that contains earth in the game's story, making all time travel there impossible. It is also used at the end of each puzzle in the research facility to ensure that the test subject can’t use time-based powers to get away.
More articles about Project Temporality