In the beginning, the gods promised power and immortality through the gift of magic. In a short time the corruption and greed of humankind plunged the magic kingdoms into conflict, unleashing the forces of Chaos. Powerful beasts were summoned into the realm of men, and potent magic warped the landscape. Eventually the world was rent asunder, fractured into island realms split between planes of existence. The Gods of Law regained the upper hand and brought order to the realms by installing Wizard Kings to control the knowledge of magic. But the Gods of Chaos conspired with their devotees, and hid within the realms powerful magical artefacts for Chaos to rise again.
At the start of the game you are an apprentice wizard hoping to build your spells and equipment in order to become powerful enough to ascend the ranks through Wizard Lord, Wizard King, Demigod and ultimately God, where you can influence the fate of the cosmos.
Chaos Reborn is game with nail-biting decisions and twists of fate. Every battle is different, every realm is unique, and there is always something new to discover.
The magic combat system remains true to the original Chaos. It is all about summoning a host of weird and mythical creatures, moving and fighting with them, and using your wizard to attack, defend, buff and de-buff with large array of spells. It is highly tactical and fast paced. But Chaos Reborn expands considerably on this by offering multiplayer modes, a single-player RPG system and co-op play.
Julian Gollop, creator of the original X-COM, has just launched a Kickstarter campaign looking for $180,000 to finish the development of Chaos Reborn.
- Quick playing, turn-based combat. Battles typically last 10-30 minutes.
- 80 unique spells, including 24 creatures - from dragons to goblins - fully animated in the 3D Unity Engine.
- Classic spells from the original Chaos - including the Gooey Blob, Raise Dead, and Magic Wood.
- Bluff and deception - summon creatures as illusions for 100% success, and use Disbelieve spell on suspected enemy illusions.
- Manipulate the balance of the Cosmos between Law and Chaos to your advantage.
- Procedurally generated 3D battle arenas with various types of terrain, and different levels of elevation.
- Multiple game modes, including Classic Chaos mode - fully random battle set-up with random selection of spells.
The original Chaos was always renowned as a great multiplayer game that could mix up human and AI wizards for a truly exciting battle. Chaos Reborn builds on this, adding several new features:
- Multiplayer online matches - asynchronous or live
- Offline multiplayer battles on one machine (hotseat mode)
- Online rankings and league system
- Tournaments with prizes
- Extensive co-op options, for multiplayer matches - 2 vs 2, or human co-op vs AI players
- Guild system with guild rankings and guild tournaments
- Trade items and equipment with your friends or guild members
A major innovation in the Chaos system is the vast single-player RPG experience called the ‘Realms of Chaos’. You start as a new wizard with just a few spells and you must explore the Realms of Chaos, defeating the Wizard Kings that rule them in order to build your power and magical knowledge.
When you enter a Realm you must seek out and defeat the Wizard Lords, the loyal minions of the Wizard King. As you travel the Wizard King will build his power and reinforce his Wizard Lords, so efficient exploration and effective combat are the keys to success in the Realms. You will discover things to help you and hinder you along the way, and you will build your spell knowledge and equipment as your progress. Once all the Wizard Lords are defeated you can challenge the Wizard King, and if you are victorious you are certain to win valuable treasures and potentially rare or unique artefacts. Here are some of the features of the Realms of Chaos mode:
- New realms to explore each day - procedural generation system can create a near infinite variety of adventures
- Player generated realms - if you are a Wizard King you can design your own realm for other players to explore
- Hundreds of different types of equipment to collect in your adventures - including staffs, body gear, headgear and magical artefacts
- Build your spell knowledge by acquiring Spell Books through combat or trade
- Win gold from battles to spend on sea passages, teleports, mountain passes, realm maps, spell orbs and more.
- Level up your wizard to gain access to higher level Realms
- Level up individual items of equipment by entering their ‘Inner Realms’ - a series of dungeon like levels with unusual guardians
- Co-op mode - invite a friend or guild member to help you fight a battle in the realm you are exploring
- Share Realm Maps and your own experience of Realms with your guild members
The RPG system in Chaos Reborn is very flexible. Your wizard’s abilities and stats are entirely determined by the equipment given to him, so by using different configurations of equipment and spells you can personalize your wizard and play style, and try to optimise your tactics in battle. The equipment also determines how your wizard will look.
Wizard equipment consists of a staff, headgear and body gear. The staff has a special ability which can be activated after the staff is powered up during battle. For example, a staff might be able to unleash a lightning storm over a wide area, or flip the balance of the cosmos from Law to Chaos, or clone any creature in the arena.
Each item of equipment may be levelled up individually, but you may only equip an item which has an equal or lower level than your wizard level. Thus your wizard level actually represents your mastery of magical technology. As equipment levels up, it’s powers increase, thus increasing the power of your wizard. You can use equipment in Realm Quests and in multi-player online battles, if the battle rules permit it (‘Classic Chaos’ mode, for example, does not allow equipment use). Equipment can be traded with other players for gold or other items, or it can be purchased in special locations inside Realms, or won as spoils of war in battle.
More articles about Chaos Reborn