Children of Liberty is a classic 2D platformer with a stealthy twist. Players select one of four distinct characters and sneak their way in and around Colonial Boston, climbing buildings, hiding in shadows, knocking out Redcoats, ducking into alleyways, and living out the events surrounding the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere.
On April 19, 1775, The Lexington Minutemen confronted a group of 700 Redcoats marching to capture munitions depots stored outside of Boston and thus began what is known as the American Revolutionary War. The night before the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the Sons of Liberty received word of the Redcoats' plan to march on the munitions depot. Paul Revere, a coppersmith and infamous Patriot, was sent along with William Dawes to warn the countryside of the oncoming attack. However, only by a mysterious set of circumstances was Revere able to succeed at his mission.
The events leading up to this battle have always been filled with intrigue … until now. Children of Liberty fills in the plot holes of the tale of Paul Revere's Ride while remaining historically accurate. Gamers play as either Joseph, the classic platformer; Ally, the nimble freerunner; Doug, the burly tank; or Sarah, the bratty eight-year old ninja, and live out the events of the hours leading up to the American Revolution. Players have various tools at their disposal depending on the character they play, including toy swords, grappling yo-yos, and smoke bombs. Children of Liberty places a heavy emphasis on stealth-based gameplay, allowing the player to hide in shadows and pop out at strategic moments while remaining true to the core of classic 2D platformers but in a fully realized 3D world.
Taking place on the eve of the American Revolution, gamers play as four kids, selected at the start of the game, on a mission to break their parents out of jail and warn the countryside of the pending Redcoat attack.The early access version will be available on Steam, The Humble Store, Desura,and IndieGameStand on Friday, April 18, for $9.99 ($8.99 for the first week!).
- Classic, fast paced, 2D platforming in a 3D environment.
- Stealth mechanics like hiding and Takedowns let you turn the tide of battle and remain unseen.
- Traditional animation for the 21st century: Beautifully rendered, high resolution, hand drawn sprites combine seamlessly with the Unity engine's real-time lighting and shadow capabilities to create an unparalleled visual aesthetic.
- Four distinct playable characters, including Joseph, a classic platforming hero with a Double Jump and a Toy Sword; Ally, a free-running gymnast with a knack for Slides, Kicks, and Wall Runs; Doug, a burly tank who's not afraid to shake the ground or Tackle Redcoats; and Sarah, an adorable but deadly Colonial Ninja.
- Meet historical figures key to the birth of America, including Samuel Adams, John Hancock, Margaret Gage, and Paul Revere.
More articles about Children of Liberty