Puzzles based on your observation and learning, as well as the overarching themes that guide the entire game world. You progress at your own pace, and sometimes you might just want to look around and soak in the environment around you. There is no combat in this game. Everything around you is there for a purpose, whether it is an aesthetic purpose or is oriented towards gameplay. The mechanics and the aesthetics of the game work together harmoniously to bring about a fully immersive gaming experience.
White Lotus Interactive revealed that it has switched from Unreal Engine 3 UDK to Epic's new engine.
It has been just about 3 weeks since we got back from GDC...and this whole time we have been nose deep in learning the ins and outs of Unreal Engine 4. In those 3 weeks, we have accomplished a crazy amount of work, transferring and recreating the XING Rainforest Level.
There are several reasons why we decided to make the switch:
Being on the Cutting Edge
UE4 is a more User-Friendly Engine to Use
- Now we can count on Oculus support for certain when the game is released
- We can keep up with the times and continue to push for incredible graphics
- Constant support from Epic for their new engine
- Blueprints makes coding far more enjoyable
- Workflow and speed have been amped up!
- More streamlined import process
- Better material editing
- Art integration with Blueprints
- We can implement things now we had only dreamed of before
Refocusing our Art Style
- It's not just "better graphics" we are concerned with, we want to continue to make sure XING has consistent and visually rich environments
- We walk a line between fantasy and realism with our art direction, and UE4 has made that even easier and - more fun to implement (and more affordable graphics wise)
- Better dynamic lighting built in = less compromises we have to make
More articles about Xing: The Land Beyond