Curated by renowned innovator and independent developer, Doug Wilson of Die Gute Fabrik, Sportsfriends focuses on local multiplayer and clever, minimalist gameplay mechanics and design.
Sportsfriends is a compendium of four local multiplayer games, all of them are accessible, spectator-friendly, and deeply replayable.
Johann Sebastian Joust is a no-graphics, digitally-enabled playground game that I designed for motion controllers like the PlayStation Move. Players try to jostle their opponents' controllers while protecting their own. How fast you can move your controller depends on the varying tempo of the music. If your controller is ever moved beyond the allowable threshold, you're out! The goal is to be the last player remaining.
BaraBariBall is a fighting/sports game for two or four players. Players score by dunking the ball in the water on the opposing team’s side but lose a point for falling into the water themselves.
In addition to a wide range of tactical maneuvers, players have seven air jumps, allowing for unprecedented control and ridiculously awesome aerial combat. BaraBariBall favors responsive controls, improvisation and tactics, and currently features three unique characters with a wide variety of attacks and special abilities.
Super Pole Riders will be an enhanced, extended version of the pole-vaulting polo game, Pole Riders. In Pole Riders, two athletic men pole-vault into the air to try to kick a ball, suspended on a rope by a pulley, into their enemy's goal. It's a no-holds-barred sport of launching yourself off your opponent's head, kicking him off his pole, and flipping the other guy into orbit with your pole. It brings the awkward physics-based controls of my single player game QWOP to a local multiplayer battle.
Hokra is a minimalist digital sports game. A fast-paced, competitive game for two teams of two players each, Hokra features simple controls and minimal rules while retaining the depth that makes multiplayer games exciting for advanced players. Like the sports from which it draws inspiration, Hokra is engaging to both player and spectators.
Both PS3 and PS4 versions feature:
- Four award-winning multiplayer games
- No-bullshit — local multiplayer in its purest form
- Rich variety of modes and gameplay settings
- Build and save your own Hokra arenas
- Optional: PlayStation Move motion controller support for Johann Sebastian Joust
- Some of the weirdest Trophies on PSN
- Tons of secrets we can’t talk about
PS4 version features:
- DualShock 4 wireless controller support for all the games
- Play JS Joust with up to four players
- Play JS Joust with DualShock 4, making special use of its speaker and LED
PS3 version features:
- DualShock 3 support for all the games
- Play JS Joust with up to seven players
- Play JS Joust with DualShock 3
- Load your own music files into JS Joust!
As a special treat, if you purchase Sportsfriends on PS3 you will also be entitled to download the PS4 version for free.
Sportsfriends will be available for $14.99.
More articles about Sportsfriends