Heroes & Generals eliminates the formulaic baggage that weighs down the shooter genre by delivering satisfying strategic action in a full blown first-person shooter experience. Players are transported from the comfort of their browsers to authentic WWII battlefields, where they fight alongside thousands of gamers for persistent progression and military supremacy.
Each player in Heroes & Generals chooses their own destiny. You might join the Axis and climb the ranks as a foot soldier, firing off countless rounds in epic battles for crucial landmarks. Or perhaps you’ll become a general in the US army and accept the task of deploying resources and reinforcements across a vast strategic map.
Either way your decisions and actions fundamentally impact the game. Whether you play a fearless infantryman blazing the trenches, a hotshot pilot renowned for precision bombing runs, a brutal gunner assigned to a rumbling tank battalion, or the ace commander directing it all from strategic command – every active soldier contributes to an evolving online war that will soon expand to smartphones and tablets as well.
The features and content highlighted in this Videolog are:
- Patton - Weapon Update:
- New Weapon: Russian Degtyarev DP 28 - Light Machine Gun
- New Weapon: Russian PPSh-41 - Submachine Gun
- New Weapon: Russian RGD-33 - Handgrenade
- New Weapon: Russian PMK-40 - Anti-personnel Mine
- New Weapon: Russian TM-35 - Anti-tank Mine
- Captured Weapons from the opposing faction
- Weapon Personalization
- Academy Trained Soldiers
- Spotting System 2.0
- More than 200 new Battlefields on the Campaign Map
- Patton - 9 New Goddamned Tanks Update:
- New German Panzerkampfwagen Achtunddreißig T 38(t) Ausführung E Light Tank
- New German Panzerkampfwagen II Ausführung C Light Tank
- New German Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausführung H Medium Tank
- New German Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger II Heavy Tank
- New German Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Hetzer" Tank Destroyer
- New US M2A2 Light Tank
- New US M24 Chaffee Light Tank
- New US M3 Lee Medium Tank
- New US M4A1 Sherman Medium Tank
- Personal Vehicle Loadout
- Vehicle Upgrades
- New Weapon: US M3 Grease Gun Submachine Gun
- New Weapon: German Maschinenpistole 34 Submachine Gun
- Ribbon Boosters
- Interface tutorial for new players
- The main game, ‘The War’ is running on a central server.
- The warserver keeps track of resources and which forces occupy which areas of the theatre of war (which to start with is northern europe).
- The players can interact with the server in various ways to influence the outcome of the war.
- The basic gameplay is the action game. In it’s form a pretty much standard multiplayer fare, with a team-based domination as the core gamemode (Assault/Defense). The result of a battle is fed into the warserver and thereby influencing the war on a higher level.
- Players who play the game in a more tactical way will rise in the ranks to become a commander.
- Commanders will have the power to use the resources on the warserver to influence battles being fought by lower ranking players. Because of the nature of the game (a central running warserver), orders can basically be sent from any device connected to the internet. Our first implementation is via a tactical-overview in a web-browser (right now it’s flash but would probably be turned into running in 3d at some point) and via a smartphone (Android at the moment but nothing is in the way for making it for iPhone/Win7Mobile).
- The mobile apps enable the commander to send orders to ongoing battles from anywhere. If a team on the ground need air-support, the commander is able to send attack planes (this will initiate an air-raid for players with pilot-characters to join the battle) or order an artillery attack.
- Casual games will play a role as well. These are available to all players. The results of the casual games will also feed into the warserver but on a lower level than the commander. Ideas for casual games could be re-a field-hospital, where you are nursing wounded soldiers (getting wounded soldiers back to battle faster) or a tank/plane-factory (speeding up time of war-production).
More articles about Heroes & Generals