Set in a diesel-punk styled universe with dystopian, retro-futuristic styling, InSomnia takes place on a gargantuan, half-deserted space station 400 years in to its journey slowly making its way to an elusive planet known only as the Evacuation Point.
InSomnia takes place on a gargantuan, half-deserted space station known as The Ark that is slowly making its way toward an elusive planet known only as the Evacuation Point. The Ark is inhabited by the descendants of the Nomans, a race of people who escaped their home planet several centuries earlier when it had become uninhabitable due to a cataclysmic conflict between the Republic of Noma and the SORG Regime. Most of the station has been abandoned and is now colloquially known by its inhabitants as The Dump.
For the last 300 years, the Nomans have been living in the Manned Sector in fear of the SORG, the force that virtually wiped out Noman civilization. The only hope for the Nomans lies in the Evacuation Point, where they plan to start history again from scratch.
Players begin the game as a Noman with their character emerging from cryogenic sleep, trying to understand what happened on the Arc for the last twenty years as they meet other awakened colonists. Players are on a journey to the future, trying to understand the mistakes – and clues – from the past.
“We realized pretty quickly that we didn’t have a clear enough description of the project which ended up confusing and alienating potential backers for our original Kickstarter campaign in 2013” explains Anatoliy Guyduk, Lead Developer at Studio MONO, “so we decided to halt the campaign, go away, rethink, work on our mistakes and relaunch later when we had a clearer vision of the project and had a lot more content to show the public.”
Guyduk continues, “The primary mistake we made was using the term ‘MMO’ when in fact InSomnia is fundamentally an RPG. When potential backers saw the word ‘MMO’ the association was formed with games such as World of Warcraft, which InSomnia is not, and turned off the huge number of RPG fans out there who are our target audience. So, the big failure on our part was in the description of what the game was and what it wasn’t. The brand new features and descriptions we have implemented over the past six months have hopefully now rectified this as well as giving us additional time to progress the game.
- Dieselpunk RPG with Noir stylings featuring man-made apocalyptic landscapes imbued with a dark, ambient soundtrack
- 15-20 hours of gameplay upon release
- Develop your character through tactical real-time combat in single player and co-op scenarios, combining hundreds of skills and abilities through a powerful crafting system
- Manage a huge amount of customizable items and equipment for a gaming experience unique to every player
- A new, more immersive type of RPG free of leveling systems, character classes and unwanted grind
- Randomly generated, non-linear events and missions in addition to the main campaign playable in both single player and co-op
- Survive starvation, extreme weather conditions and injuries, uncover valuable items in secret challenge scenarios as well as facing ‘points of no return’ situations
- Branching dialogue system
- Social reputation and karma systems affecting the actions of other characters and factions
- Brand new FREE chapters released every 2-3 months continuing the main story with both single player and co-op content
More articles about InSomnia