Emotionally charged, stunningly beautiful, and delivering unprecedented dramatic character performance, Heavenly Sword™ showcases the power of PS3. A dramatic tale of revenge sees Nariko, a fiery red-haired heroine, embark on a quest for vengeance against an invading King and his army. The story builds around the ancient Heavenly Sword, which once belonged to a powerful deity. It can never be wielded by a mortal without it slowly but inevitably draining their life-force.
When the invading King (played by Andy Serkis) destroys the warrior clan that guards the Heavenly Sword, the clan leader’s daughter, Nariko, takes up the sword in a desperate fight for survival. Nariko must now pay the ultimate price as she embarks on one last mission of vengeance against the King and his army before her life is finally and irreparably overtaken by the omnipotent Heavenly Sword…
Andy Serkis, famous for his roles as Gollum in “The Lord of the Rings” and Kong in “King Kong,” was heavily involved in the creative process. As well as starring in Heavenly Sword as the villain, King Botan, Andy was a major contributor to the character development, writing, casting, directing and performance capture for the PS3 title.
Based on Sony PlayStation's video game of the same name, the action-packed CG animation (85 minutes) boasts an all-star voice cast including Anna Torv ("Fringe"), Alfred Molina (Spider-man 2, Chocolate) and Thomas Jane ("Hung," The Mist).
A dramatic tale of revenge, Heavenly Sword centers on Nariko (Torv), a trained warrior with flaring red hair, who gracefully possesses a titular, heavily sought after blade with incredible powers. As the sword's guardian, she must face a megalomaniacal ruler King Bohan (Molina) and his unyielding army, who are determined to obtain the powerful sword for their own manipulation.
The Blu-ray ($19.970 and DVD ($14.93), available on Sept. 2, 2014, are packed with bonus footage including behind-the-scenes interviews with the cast and filmmakers. The film will also be available on the Sony Playstation Network.
- The Heavenly Sword itself can transform into three distinct weapons, each with its own accompanying fighting stance used by Nariko to vary combat styles.
- The combat engine can scale up from sophisticated one-on-one encounters to one-on-many, where enemies employ intelligent squad-based dynamics, right up to combat against battalions pushing real-time gameplay and Artificial Intelligence (AI) to unprecedented new levels.
- The physics-based combat allows players to sweep debris against opponents, kick tables to halt an oncoming surge of fighters, smash the enemy into the scenery, or throw bodies into other enemies using “aftertouch” controls.
- Heavenly Sword provides a wide range of objects & weaponry including rapid fire crossbows and massively damaging bazookas.
- Coupled with real-time story evolvement and amazing set-pieces, Heavenly Sword feels like a blockbuster action movie that takes combat gameplay to new heights.
- Greater processing power on the PS3 enables more immersive visuals and sound effects in Heavenly Sword, heightening the character performance and combat within the stunningly beautiful environments.
More articles about Heavenly Sword