Set in the far reaches of outer space during a new Dark Age, WarFrame introduces the Tenno, a race on the brink of extinction after being enslaved by the Grineer for centuries. Players enter WarFrame on the cusp of the Grineer's victory over the Tenno until they begin to arm themselves with WarFrames - an ancient exo-skeletal technology only they can operate. Hidden within the Orokin Derelicts of a lost civilization, new WarFrames lie dormant and undiscovered. These artifacts are the Tenno's only hope for survival.
WarFrame is a free-to-play fast-action PvE shooter set in an evolving sci-fi world. Some would call it MMO-Lite as squads of four players band together to advance their characters and battle the oppression of the genocidal Grineer. Throughout their combat missions, players will continually increase the power and abilities of their WarFrame and weapons. Players will raid new areas of space searching for exotic and powerful weapons and WarFrame augmentations to customize their arsenal. With WarFrame's Automatic Mission Generator, the game will offer endless replay as levels are procedurally configured for a unique raid -- every time.
The new PC update titled – Update 14: The Mad Cephalon focuses on simplifying the new user experience and immersing the player further into the universe of Warframe. This includes a completely redesigned user-interface introducing players to their new player ship, The Liset; an exciting new Quest system starting with Vor’s Prize; arrival of the highly anticipated pet companions, The Kubrow; and, the unveiling of a new Warframe – Mirage, the master of illusion; plus, so much more.
“We’re putting the ‘B’ back in Beta with this update,” joked Steve Sinclair, creative director at Digital Extremes. “Seriously though, we need a new word for Beta. It just doesn’t fully encompass the evolutionary process that games like Warframe go through over their lifetime. Getting endless feedback from our players along with our own ambitions for the game makes us continually work to improve it. Sometimes that means re-working major foundational components to the game like the new-player experience. This entire experience has been a game changer for us - direct player connection - tap into it, nurture it, know what to take from it and a game can become more than you ever imagined it to be.”
Primary highlights of this impressive update include:
- NEW PLAYER EXPERIENCE – Immerse yourself into the re-imagined user interface and menus aboard your personal spacecraft, The Liset. A meaningful Quest walks new players through Warframe, providing essential information on gameplay, lore, game modes and menus and introduces players to Ordis, the ship’s Cephalon, a guiding voice on The Liset.
- PET COMPANIONS – A new Quest unlocks a Genetic Foundry used for breeding biological specimens on your ship! Breed a Kubrow by collecting a Kubrow egg and incubating it in the Genetic Foundry. Different Kubrow personality types have different combat and non-combat abilities. Make your Kubrow more combat effective by caring for it and equipping powerful link mods. Create genetic imprints of your Kubrow that you can trade with fellow Tenno and combine to create your perfect pet!
- NEW WARFRAME – A master of illusion, Mirage confounds the enemy in a spectacle of style and power. MIRAGE's powers include:
Hall of Mirrors - Mirage creates an entourage of doppelgangers to distract and confuse the enemy.
Sleight of Hand - A natural prankster, Mirage booby-traps nearby objects.
Eclipse - Standing in light, Mirage becomes the main attraction, dealing heavy damage. While the shadows make Mirage difficult to track and even harder to hurt.
Prism - Fires an energy orb that shoots lasers in all directions. Activating again detonates the orb, blinding nearby foes.
- QUESTS – Explore re-playable Quests with unlockable difficulty selection. This new Warframe experience opens with the debut Quest, Vor’s Prize.
- NEW DARK SECTORS CONFLICTS – Introducing a new player-versus-player game mode to replace the existing Dark Sectors Solar Rails conflict game mode. Choose which Clan or Alliance you wish to support and play the role of Attacker or Defender on a multi-staged objective mission! Up to four human players per side, with empty player slots auto-filled by Spectres.
- NEW WEAPONS
AKZANI – The choice weapons of Mirage, these fast-firing dual pistols deliver a deadly performance.
SILVA AND AEGIS– a Sword and Board style weapon created from the concept of the community Melee Design Contest Winner – SilverBones.
- EXPANDED GAME MODES – The Infested have overtaken Eris. Hive Sabotage, Exterminate, and Survival Game Modes now available!
Update 14 was released on PC and can be downloaded for free, while the PS4 players will get their hands on it in a few more weeks as the new user experience requires additional development for controller support.
More articles about Warframe