Set in the distant future, Destiny casts players as Guardians of the last city on Earth, who traverse the ruins of our solar system from the red dunes of Mars to the jungles of Venus. Players must battle enemies and reclaim what was lost during the collapse of mankind. Destiny's saga unfolds through grand tales and sweeping adventures by immersing gamers in a world with cooperative, competitive, public, and social activities.
Personalize and upgrade every aspect of how you look and fight with a nearly limitless combination of armor, weapons, and visual customizations. Take your upgraded character into every mode, including campaign, cooperative, social, public, and competitive multiplayer.
The Destiny Beta, which will include a diverse sampling of major activities featured in the full game. Fans who pre-order Destiny at a participating retailer are guaranteed access into the Beta, which will commence as follows:
- The Beta begins first for PS4 (PlayStation Plus required for some features) and PS3 at 10:00am PDT on July 17
- The Beta begins for Xbox One and Xbox 360 (Xbox Live Gold required, subject to change) at 10:00am PDT on July 23
- The Beta will be offline for scheduled maintenance on July 21 - July 22 and open back up to pre-order participants across all platforms until 11:59pm PDT on July 27
"As we prepare to launch our first Beta on multiple console platforms around the world, we are excited and eager to open the flood gates," said Harold Ryan, Bungie's president. "We already love to play Destiny, and with your help we can be ready for our launch in September."
The Destiny Ghost Edition ($149.99) and the Destiny Limited Edition ($99.99) both include the following:
- Limited edition SteelBook Case and Game Disc
- Guardian Folio:
- o Arms & Armament Field Guide
- o Postcards from the Golden Age
- o Antique Star Chart
- Collector's Edition Digital Content Pack:
- o Unique Ghost Casing
- o Exclusive Player Emblem
- o Exclusive Player Ship Variant
- Destiny Expansion Pass - expands the Destiny adventure post-launch with the following two expansions, which will include brand new story missions, cooperative activities and competitive multiplayer arenas, and a wealth of all new weapons, armor and gear to earn:
- o Expansion I: The Dark Below - Set deep beneath the surface of the Moon, fans will discover an ancient tomb that has been unsealed, and a dark god who has risen an evil army in the depths of the Hellmouth, the home of the Hive enemy race
- o Expansion II: House of Wolves - details will be revealed later
- o PlayStation platforms will also include additional exclusive content for Expansion I and II and will remain exclusive until at least Fall of 2015
The Destiny Ghost Edition ($149.99)will also include the following:
- Ghost replica, featuring motion-activated lights and voice recordings from award-winning actor Peter Dinklage, voice of the Ghost character, the player's personal companion in the game
- Letter of Introduction
- Golden Age Relics, which include a Photo, Patch, Sticker and two Chrome slides of the Traveler
For digital pre-order fans, the Destiny Digital Guardian Edition ($89.99) includes a digital download copy of the game, Destiny Expansion Pass ($34.99 for the pass, Expansion I and Expansion II will be priced individually at $19.99 when they launch) and the Collector's Edition Digital Content Pack.
All pre-orders on any sku will include access to the Vanguard Armory that includes early access to weapons, gear and exclusive player emblem. Fans can visit the official website to see a list of participating global retailers.
Everything changed with the arrival of the Traveler. Long ago, it breathed new life into our system. Rain washed over Mars. Fresh air cleansed the skies over Venus. Soon after, humanity raced into the black, and colonized these newly remade worlds. It was a time of miracles – a great Golden Age.
It did not last. The Traveler had an ancient enemy. A powerful darkness that found us here on Earth, and nearly destroyed us. No one knows exactly what happened in those final moments, but we know this: we survived, and we owe our lives to the Traveler.
In our darkest days, Humans, Exos, and Awoken found the Traveler where it made its last stand, low above Earth, silent and immobile. We built the City – our last – within its protective veil, fighting countless wars to keep its peace. From that dark age, Guardians were born.
Now, a new era has begun, and the only hope for our future lies in unlocking the greatest mysteries of our past. You are a Guardian of the last safe city on Earth, able to wield some of the Traveler's incredible power. You are taking this mantle just as a new day dawns. Titans, Hunters, and Warlocks have finally returned to our long-lost worlds, only to find out we are not alone.
Defend the last safe City on Earth. Defeat our enemies. Explore the ancient ruins of our solar system. Discover all that we have lost.
More articles about Destiny