Version 2.878 offers the following improvements, fixes, and changes:
- Current selected device now displayed in individual axis channel control mapping menu.
- Individual axis channels can now be mapped across multiple devices (previously required the complete binding process).
- Crew members are now kept with the player in an 'inactive' status when they pilot ships that lack the capacity to use them.
- Ship rescue distress call time limit doubled and cargo delivery distress call time limit increased by about 50%.
- Option to move a selected crew member to the top of the list in the crew management console added.
- Updated button input binding system to better accommodate button 32 on certain devices.
- Clearing individual axis channels now limited to selected device only.
Version 1.708 offers the following improvements, fixes, and changes:
- New menu background graphics for added detail.
- Improved and adjusted asteroid cave collision detection.
- Afterburner sound effects updated to eliminate clicks/pops when activating and deactivating.
- New special effects including explosion blast waves, missile detonation explosions, and explosion lens flares.
- New clan tag bracket option ('<>') to allow for secure voice chat without clan affiliation.
- Station detonator links no longer remain active when entering the exit menu.
- New high fidelity sound effects including distance based volume control.
- Occasional disconnect of players in shipyards, hangars, or lobbies fixed.
- Multiple object and surface capability added to the explosion system.
- Improved timing system for systems with ultra-high frames-per-second.
- Full ping status system added to better gauge network performance.
- Several minor bug fixes.
Version 1.428 is available for download and includes the following improvements:
- Background star detail increased.
- Military ship frames updated to improve texture alignment.
- Gun turret control system updated to match flight control vertical input.
- Modification system updated to support custom ship hull textures for each color option.
- Modification system updated to properly load/display custom image files for loading stage.
- Primary weapon and shield impact sound effects now use multiple audio channels for improved quality.
- Multiplayer system updated for improved compatibility with a wider range of network devices and better performance.
- Mouse button input system updated to ignore input signals from buttons 3 and higher for menus.
- Mouse button control for multiplayer voice chat implemented (including remapping option).
- Profile template problem that occasionally caused lost hangar items fixed.
- Reduced memory overhead slightly for improved efficiency.
- Shadows added to target and station direction indicators.
- Several texture improvements for better image quality.
- Shield array status indicators added to gunsight.
- Exhaust lens flare effect added (angle based).
- Several minor bug fixes.
Version 1.288 offers the following improvements, fixes, and changes:
- Dedicated size option added for custom display and HUD text.
- 'Clan Only' voice chat mode enabled for receiving messages while in exit menu.
- Missile explosion animation system updated for more consistent rendering at higher FPS.
- Dynamic cube mapping for planetary water linked to 'High' shader option in Options menu.
- Station detonator prices reduced to make them more accessible and potentially increase their use.
- Secondary throttle control input system updated to better support various gamepad/joystick devices.
- Text rendering system updated for improved efficiency and to eliminate flickering that may occur on some systems.
- Secondary weapon damage levels better aligned with armor specifications for each frame type.
- AI ship construction system updated for Saber and Raven frames for better wing placement.
- Additional proximity checks added to construction system to prevent 'station stacking'.
- Station detonator availability increased through reloading option at specific locations.
- Player built trade station limit set to 50 for each 500 sector territory control zone.
- Clan territory control rate credit increased by 500% for player built trade stations.
- 'Black warp gate' issue on Nvidia GeForce 400 and 500 series of video cards fixed.
- Military frames now have significantly greater primary weapon energy reserves.
- Military frames can now have up to eight equipment components.
- Military frames now have one cargo bay slot.
- Several minor bug fixes.
The new font size option will let the user specify a unique size for the display/HUD text that is different from the primary message and menu text.
The dynamic cube mapping system for planetary water is now linked to the 'High' shader setting in the Options menu. This lets the user disable the dynamic water effects without impacting the other planetary details such as terrain meshes, detail mapping, clouds, and textures. On some systems, good performance can still be achieved with planet details set high, but the dynamic water effects might cause a significant performance reduction. This way, the user can control the water effects independently of the other planet details and effects by changing the shader setting to 'Limited' in the Options menu.
To update any military ship designs you own for the new options, simply rebuild the ship in any shipyard or buy a new one and the design will be updated automatically.
Evochron Mercenary v1.188 Patch/Demo
- AI ships now use beam weapons.
- Several performance improvements.
- AI not following orders properly in war zones fixed.
- Array error message occuring after deleting all text lines fixed.
- Hangar storage inventory duplication when building new stations in close proximity fixed.
- Inventory items in war zones now update in single player using the same system as multiplayer.
- Sensor indicators on nav map now render with proper transparency with planet city indicators.
- Players can now specify unique textures for each type of small ship frame in the game.
- Station detonator system updated to not effect players docked in other sectors.
- Physics system updated for more consistent thruster behavior at high speed.
- Critical alarm is now played when a fulcrum torpedo is launched nearby.
- Quadrant map can now be zoomed in for a more legible view.
- Inbound missile indicators appearing when HUD is off fixed.
- Shader system updated for custom player designed cities.
- Custom imported ship designs enabled for external views.
- Font set expanded to support German characters.
- Player built station capacities increased (server).
- Improved cloud layer scaling.
- Tech data text updated.
- Several minor bug fixes.
Evochron Mercenary v1.108 Patch/Demo
- More solar systems made available in demo.
- Occasional player drop due to rapid sector-to-sector travel fixed (server).
- Update rate for player status in multiplayer for shipyard and other menus increased.
- Jump drive control for NPC ships now properly bound for high energy nebula clouds.
- Players can now transfer installed equipment items directly to hangars and back to their ships.
- Custom cockpit system implemented to import external designs (see customizing kit for details).
- New 'Arc' sensitivity setting for flight control devices to offer an alternate response mode for axis inputs.
- Improvements to quest system to keep multiple waypoint patrol objective more manageable and accurate.
- Players can now destroy any player-built station type (including Research, Energy, Constructors, and Ore Processors).
- Single key/button mapping options added for quick save, autopilot, lock mining beam, padlock view, and cinematic view.
- Texture image quality for nav map and 3D radar waypoint and jump point markers improved.
- Power of throttle trim keys increased to match closely with lateral and vertical thrusters.
- Removed docking fees for player-built stations in hostile systems (for non-building players).
- Removed ship detonation when exiting shipyard with more fuel than tank capacity.
- NPC/AI controlled ships fly faster for added challenge in ship-vs-ship racing.
- Players can now use the jettison option for satellite delivery contracts.
- Rank icons would sometimes overlap from view in player list, now fixed.
- Players can now scuttle deployable stations while remaining in-sector.
- Axis control for energy setting not unbinding when remapping fixed.
- Target range list now includes offset spacing for improved legibility.
- 'Toggling' tractor beams on other player ships in multiplayer fixed.
- Map log entries now pause at the last character when scrolling.
- Reduced text display mode added for text/chat messages.
- Mod option for changing the ambient light level added.
- Auto-centering added for force feedback devices.
- Improved planet terrain collision detection.
- Several minor bug fixes.
Evochron Mercenary features a new graphics engine that supports most 3D video cards with at least shader model 2.0 support. The new planetary engine offers a much higher level of detail along with new effects including a cloud and haze system that renders clouds you can see in the distance from space then descend and fly through while in planet atmospheres. New gas giant planets feature moving cloud layers and powerful winds that can disorient even the best pilots. The game also includes new solar systems to explore.
The sound and music has been enhanced significantly and includes dynamic music by Rich Douglas that changes with the level of hostility around the player. Higher sampling rates and new sounds enhance the audio effects in the game.
The new fleet command system lets the player issue orders to AI ships in single player and to human controlled ships in multiplayer (kept private for only the other players who have matching clan ID tags in their callsigns). The player can order ships to form up, attack hostiles, defend them specifically, mine asteroids, or reload and refuel.
Mercenary features twice as many ship frames to choose from, both civilian and military. Players can now also change the number of crew compartments, countermeasures, equipment slots, and secondary weapon hardpoints. Up to 8 equipment slots can now be installed on a civilian ship, which helps to support installing more of the new equipment items available.
Particle cannons now have unique ranges and several also have new attributes including kinetic effects, shield array damage, and energy depletion. New equipment items include 5 different mining beams, most of which are optimized for recovering specific materials, an anti-missile system, shield array recharger, cannon heatsink, afterburner drive, and automatic CM launcher.
The game also features smarter AI with more advanced tactics and greater challenge in war zones and high level systems. Capital ships fight more aggressively and are equipped with anti-shield torpedoes that deplete the shield arrays of an opposing capital ship. They also now carry flak cannons which inflict kinetic effects and can damage the player's ship if they remain in range.
Players can now deploy temporary energy stations, repair stations, sensor stations, fuel processors, shield arrays, and mining probes. Temporary deployable objects can be tactically useful on the battlefield, aid in exploring for hidden items, harvest resources, or to assist players who are stranded or in need of repair. Permanent trade stations, constructor stations, research stations, energy stations, and ore processors can also be built. Permanent stations allow players to dynamically expand the game's universe with new trade locations, resources, populated AI regions, and economies.
The new lobby mode is available at stations, cities, and carriers. Players can now enter a lobby that gives them access to full chat controls (voice and text), inventory management, the shipyard, and storage hangars. Once inside a station, city, or carrier, a player is safe from attack. A new 'quest' system features multiple objectives spanning many solar systems throughout the game's universe. The quest further trains players for the game, teaches them details on the history of the game's universe, and provides information on secret locations and hidden benefits in the game.
The new multiplayer system features far better performance along with several new options. In multiplayer, station building by players is tracked and stored by the server program, letting them expand and customize the universe of a server that other players can use and share. The new integrated voice chat lets players talk to each other using their PC's mic. The new gun turret binding mode in multiplayer lets a player to link their ship to another player's ship. One player controls a 360-degree gun turret attached to the player's ship they've linked to.
In Evochron, a player is free to seek their fortune as an independent mercenary in an adventure directed by their choices, abilities, and accomplishments. Each player can bring their unique skills and interests to the game, forming clans for cooperative goals or remaining solo to complete objectives on their own in true freeform space-sim gameplay.
Evochron Mercenary runs on the PC platform, including Windows XP, Vista, and 7. The recommended minimum system configuration for the game includes a 2.0 GHz processor, 128 MB 3D video card, and 1.5 GB of RAM. The game supports keyboard, mouse, joystick, and gamepad control options with remapping capability. It also supports NaturalPoint Inc.'s TrackIR head tracking system and up to 10 separate control devices simultaneously.
More articles about Evochron Mercenary