You are a child with limited resources, waking up on a distant alien moon, twenty light years from Earth. You must carry out a mission of critical importance. Battle, puzzle, and journey through an exotic and dangerous world. Seek out game-changing equipment, upgrades, vehicles, and companions to expand your options for combat and exploration.
Inspired by classic games like Metroid, Cave Story, and Dark Souls, Anew: The Distant Light will appeal to fans of platforming, combat, exploration, and visual storytelling.
Anew: The Distant Light will feature original musical compositions by the talented Wilbert Roget, II. Wilbert has written music and received several D.I.C.E and G.A.N.G award nominations for games such as Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Dead Island 2, and Star Wars: The Old Republic.
With two days to go in its Kickstarter campaign, Anew: The Distant Light has surpassed its funding goal of $30,000! Nearly 600 backers have contributed to Resonator’s PC and console open-world action-exploration game. Some highlights of the campaign include ports to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Linux, and Mac.
Veteran industry developers Steve Copeland and Jeff Spoonhower, who worked on games in the Bioshock, Borderlands, Uncharted, Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings video games, are thrilled with the response Anew has received. They are excited to reveal a $35,000 stretch goal chock-full of content, including: Nintendo Switch feasibility research, expanded localization, speed run features, homeship artifact room, boss rush mode, minigames, multi-plane gameplay mechanic, hardcore mode, and extra bosses and pilotable vehicles.
The Kickstarter campaign runs through 11:59 pm PST on Sunday, March 19th.
Interested fans can also support the game on Steam Greenlight.
Anew: The Distant Light is an indie game being developed by Steve Copeland and Jeff Spoonhower, collectively, Resonator. Steve and Jeff are veteran game designers who have worked on titles such as: Borderlands 2, Bioshock 2, Command and Conquer, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Star Wars: Empire at War, Saints Row 1-4, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth, and many more.
- Huge, Open Game World - Explore and unlock an unknown alien moon to discover your origins and your mission. Your adventure will take you above and below the surface of the moon, across rocky landscapes, towering spires, deep frozen lakes, and more.
- Classic Metroidvania Structure - Discover new tools, abilities and weapons which allow you to unlock new areas in the game world. Environments play differently as you evolve, making it fun to explore familiar territory for previously unreachable items and access to new realms.
- Deep Gameplay - Every weapon and piece of gear is a game-changer. Situational advantages from gear choices ensure that nothing becomes obsolete. Upgrade and customize your weapons to suit your play style. Diverse and meaningful interactions with other characters and the environment make exploring your equipment as fun as exploring the game world.
- Upgradeable Home Ship - The ship you've traveled to the alien moon on is a playable level in itself. Find hidden power cells in the game world, and return them to your ship to unlock rooms. Each new room in the ship offers new and exciting gameplay options. Your ship grows with you as you master the game world.
- Pilot Powerful Machines and Vehicles - Pilot massive mechs, tanks, shuttles, and a variety of other awesome weaponized vehicles. Hop in and out at-will to explore on foot, or collect items and upgrades. Take on hordes of enemy soldiers with ease!
- Dynamic Environment - A day and night cycle with changing atmospheric conditions, weather effects, and a burning-hot sun modify gameplay in interesting ways that affect pacing and tactical decisions (40x time lapse below).
- Mysterious Story - Discover the fate of your missing co-pilot, and find out who you are and why you've been sent 20 light years into space to a hostile alien environment.
More articles about Anew: The Distant Light