Long known for delivering exciting hockey action, 989 Sports' popular hockey franchise takes the ice this fall with an all-new attitude after a line change to developer, Page 44 Studios.
NHL FaceOffTM 2005, features players with detailed facial animations that convey the power and emotion of their sport, EyeToyTM functionality, which allows gamers to put their face into the game and become an NHL player, and breathtaking arenas complete with arena-specific game intros, goal horns and interactive crowds. To challenge the skill levels of all hockey videogame fans, NHL FaceOff 2005 offers an extensive list of gameplay modes including Tournament Mode with customizable tournaments, Franchise (Season) Mode where gamers act as owners, Online Mode with downloadable roster updates and Rivalry Mode, which sets the stage to revisit the ultimate heated match-up time after time. By combining authentic gameplay, intuitive play controls and an enhanced presentation with the fast, fluid, hard-hitting intensity of arcade style play, NHL FaceOff 2005 delivers the look, feel and passion of hockey and provides gamers with a true-to-life simulation.
- Modes of Play
- Rivalry Mode - Designed for two players to pick their favorite match-up and record stats, customize rules and settings, then save it to the memory card. Records lifetime rivalry detailed stats and records that will be stored and visible every time the rivalry is reunited. Stats include: wins, losses, ties, OT losses, win percentage, goals for, goals against, goal differential, most goals (team), most goals (player), most assists (player), most points (player), most saves (player) and many more.
- Online Mode - Take a team online and enter the next level of hockey competition in head-to-head play, tournaments with up to 64 teams, voice-recognition controls with USB headset functionality and downloadable roster updates.
- Franchise (Season) - Franchise Mode is highly customizable. Assume the role of GM and the responsibility of franchise ownership including draft, trade and contract negotiations with every player. Play the regular 82 game season or multiple seasons with a single team, or customize the length of the season. After the regular season, advance to the playoffs as one of the top 8 teams in each conference, play on and be crowned as the Stanley Cup champion.
- Tournament - Create and customize several types of tournament play with up to 32 teams including round robin, single and double elimination and ShootOut where it is one-on-one between the shooter and goalie. All gameplay options will be saved separately as a distinct part of an ongoing tournament.
- Exhibition - Gamers can select their favorite team and face off any NHL rivalry.
- Quick Start - The quickest way to the NHL. Jump right in and play with two evenly matched teams ready for action.
- Practice - Users can fine-tune their game before heading into live NHL action. Work on power play and short-handed situations as well as tradition hockey fundamentals like shooting, skating, passing, checking and goal tending.
- EyeToy Functionality - Utilizing the EyeToy USB camera, gamers can take a snapshot of themselves, put their face into the game and truly become an NHL player.
- Create-A-Player - Create a player from scratch or edit each existing NHL player.
- Create-A-Team - With over 100 unique and 75 team logos to choose from, players can create their own unique version of the next NHL Stanley Cup Champion.
- Professional NHL Motion Captured Athletes - NHL FaceOff 2005 features over 2500 animations that were captured utilizing professional hockey players.
- NHL Coaches Association License - NHL coaches' likenesses have been replicated in life-like detail.
- Breathtaking Arenas - All NHL arenas from LA to Boston have been replicated to provide a truly authentic experience including arena-specific game intro sequences and goal horns, interactive crowds with all-new crowd sounds including chants for teams and players, real-time scoreboards with realistic jumbotron and LED board animations.
- World Cup of Hockey - Whether playing as or against one of the eight hockey super powerhouses of the world, NHL FaceOff 2005 provides gamers the opportunity to challenge as or against Canada, Chez Republic, Finland, Germany, Norway, Russia, Sweden or the United States while vying for the World Cup of Hockey.