FRONT MISSION 4 marks the debut of the popular mech-based strategy game on the PlayStation 2. Utilizing the technological capabilities of the PS2, FRONT MISSION 4 brings you the newest chapter in the bestselling series. While boasting an enhanced battle system, outstanding new graphics and dramatic voiceovers, FRONT MISSION 4 maintains the outstanding strategic gameplay that has won acclaim from both gamers and press worldwide. As in the previous games, players can fully customize their wanzers, or mech units, with a variety of powerful weaponry and parts. In addition, new tactical features such as the "Link System" bring a new dimension of strategy to the game.
Set in 2096, FRONT MISSION 4 takes place six years after the Second Huffman Conflict, the stage for the original FRONT MISSION. The player's point of view switches between two separate characters who find themselves trapped within a dangerous global conspiracy. The game opens as an unidentified group of wanzers assaults and destroys an E.C. German base. Elsa, a new recruit in the E.C.'s Durandal corps, is sent to Germany with her team to investigate the attack. The story then shifts to Darril, a U.C.S. Army sergeant in South America. He and his company are sent to Venezuela after its governor declares independence from the U.C.S. Though Darril's squad seems far more interested in slacking off than fighting a war, their plans for early retirement are put on hold after they witness a fateful plane crash in the jungle...
- A brand-new "Link System" that allows pilots to link up with fellow squad members for devastating tactical maneuvers.
- Dramatic voiceovers - a first in the series - that give life to a diverse cast of original characters.
- Parallel campaigns featuring battles across Europe and South America.
- Challenging strategic elements such as air strikes, supply drops, armor coating, radar-assisted missile strikes and deadly EMP status attacks.
- Assemble wanzers from scratch with fully interchangeable arm, body and leg parts - then equip them with a wide range of firearms, ordnance launchers and melee weapons.
- Enormous urban and wilderness battle maps that allow wanzers to take advantage of cover and elevation. Leap on top of buildings, hide behind corners and scale hills to gain the upper hand.
- Enemy wanzers aren't the only things that stand between you and victory. Environmental effects such as blizzards, rain and nightfall influence battle tactics and wanzer performance.