An all-new action game in Hideo Kojima's legendary Metal Gear Solid series, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops for the PSP redefines the stealth action genre on handheld gaming systems with an original storyline that follows the events of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and groundbreaking online play that lets gamers recruit their own comrades to form a unique fighting force.
The single player campaign of Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops follows the events of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, as Big Boss establishes FOXHOUND in an attempt to hunt down the treacherous FOX unit, which has started a bloody revolt in South America. Set in 1970, the game will be the missing link in the ongoing Metal Gear saga, as players will learn more about returning characters such as Para-Medic, Major Zero and Sigint and also witness Big Boss' greatest tragedy that sets into motion the events of later games in the Metal Gear Solid timeline.
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops delivers the series' trademark stealthy action to the PSP system while introducing several new elements that add even more gameplay depth and variety to Big Boss' new adventure. Using an intuitive new third person camera that is optimized for handheld play, gamers will be able to see more of Big Boss' surroundings, identifying threats while also targeting the best areas for sneaking and hiding. The story of Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops will be told through fully voiced cinematics featuring 3D models and original artwork by acclaimed illustrator Ashley Wood.
As they progress through the single player campaign of Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, players will be able to recruit comrades to create an original fighting force. In addition to regular enemies and soldiers, players can also recruit unique NPCs depending on their action in each situation, building an armed force to fit their own style of play. Through the wireless capabilities of the PSP system, players can search for volunteer soldiers via wireless access points.
Refining the gameplay of the online multiplayer mode from Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops lets players engage in online skirmishes through the PSP system's wireless infrastructure functionality. Players will be able to use their squadron from the single player portion of the game as well as recruiting new members and trading with other players, unleashing their distinctive abilities and wreaking havoc across the game's numerous multiplayer levels.
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops also introduces a new "White Flag" system to the game's multiplayer modes, letting players choose to surrender and live to fight again in each round or fight to the death until the next game begins. Placing emphasis on stealth gameplay, the White Flag System further evolves online play for the Metal Gear series and creates a bond between the player and their team as they work together to achieve their objectives.
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is planned for retail launch Winter 2006/07.
- All-new Metal Gear Solid action game on the PSP system
- Original storyline set in 1970 featuring Big Boss
- Returning cast of characters including Para-Medic, Major Zero, Sigint and more
- Recruit NPCs with different abilities to create a custom fighting force
- Fully voiced cinematics featuring 3D models and original artwork from renowned illustrator Ashley Wood
- New 3D camera optimized for play on the PSP system
- Connect to wireless access points to recruit new comrades – each access point generates a unique group of allies
- Unique new multiplayer modes
- Wide variety of multiplayer-specific environments
- Use your squadron of comrades in online play and recruit new members only available in multiplayer
- New "White Flag" system – choose to surrender and live to fight again or fight to the death until the next game begins
- Trade squad members online with other players
More articles about Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops