On March, 8, 1965 the first troops of the US Marine Corps landed on the territory of Southern Vietnam. It was the beginning of a new confrontation between Saigon government and The Liberation Army of Vietnam. During this war the American troops were using not only new weapons, but new battlefield postures as well. One of the most noticeable changes was the extensive use of military helicopters both for transportation and fire support in landing zones.
The war in Vietnam became the first military conflict where helicopters played a significant role. Even now the image of the American helicopter Huey is one of the symbols of the operation in Indo-China. One is likely to come across the legendary Huey in every reconstruction of the above-mentioned events, whether this is a movie, a book or a computer game.
The game covers the events in November 1965, the operation in the Ia Drang Valley. Players will have a chance to pilot the legendary UH-1B (a gunship featuring maneuverability and fire power) and perform different types of tasks including attack and destroy, infantry support, rescue and many others. Gamers will be able to choose between different aircrew members at any time becoming the pilot or gunner as the AI takes over any unmanned positions. Flexibility is key as multiple settings allow varied flight behavior for the helicopter from realistic to arcade. This makes the game interesting for both hardcore gamers and casual players.
WoV features all the major weapons and military equipment of that period, both air and land from firearms, grenade launchers and artillery to planes and vehicles on both sides of the conflict
- Story based on the events of the military campaign in the Ia Drang Valley in November 1965
- Different positions in the helicopter crew - pilot, co-pilot, gunner
- Unprecedented level of details - helicopters, vehicles, equipment, human models and environment
- Various mission types: fire support, fire coordination, enemy search and destroy
- Autopilot mode allows to change view and watch the course of the game
- Engine-powered cut-scenes
- Real Vietnam locations
- Persistent non-playable characters accompanying player (crew), skills development
More articles about Whirlwind of Vietnam: UH-1