Headlining the company's lineup are four key offerings:
- The blockbuster Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, the most anticipated game of 2011.
- Call of Duty Elite, an innovative online platform built from the ground up for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 that will unite and ignite more than 30 million Call of Duty players worldwide.
- Skylanders Spyro's Adventure, an entertainment breakthrough that brings the world of toys, video games and the Internet together in an unprecedented way.
- PROTOTYPE 2, the sequel to 2009's best-selling open-world action video game that continues the experience of becoming a deadly shape-shifting weapon, this time following the game's all-new protagonist Sgt. James Heller as he pursues his ultimate goal - to destroy Alex Mercer!
As the follow up to the biggest opening entertainment launch in history twice, and the most anticipated release of the year, pre-order reservations for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 have already kicked-off at a record-setting pace. Stated Bob McKenzie, senior vice president of merchandising, GameStop, "Last year, Call of Duty: Black Ops became the most pre-ordered title in our history. Already, this year, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is significantly ahead of that pace. Our customers' response to the reveal of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has been amazing."
Additionally, Activision announced today that the invitation-only public beta for its innovative new online service, Call of Duty Elite, is expected to begin July 14, 2011. While the full capabilities of the service will not be on display until the launch of Modern Warfare 3, the beta will give users a taste of the experience and allow the service to be tested by gamers currently playing Call of Duty®: Black Ops multiplayer. In its five days since announcement, the beta has already surpassed over 1 million registrants.
Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing, said, "We are putting more focus, creativity and investment into every game we make than ever before. By developing deep, connected and engaging experiences we are staying ahead of the innovation curve and offering players unique entertainment experiences. We are particularly excited about our new service Call of Duty Elite, which we believe will reset the bar for multiplayer and create a connected entertainment community around Call of Duty like nothing else in the industry. Many of the service's key features are free to players of all supported Call of Duty titles, which will elevate fans' multiplayer experience beyond anything currently available in the market."
McKenzie added, "GameStop's customers are constantly looking for new and exciting ways to enhance their game playing experience. The Call of Duty Elite service is a win for gamers with new services like social networking components and access to great DLC, but without changing key game functionality like multiplayer access. We are pleased to have an additional Call of Duty product for our customers during the Nov. 8 launch of the highly anticipated sequel Modern Warfare 3."
Activision's E3 Slate Includes:
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Co-developed by Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games, Modern Warfare 3 is set in a world on the edge of annihilation as Makarov and his terrorist organization unleash destruction and chaos across the globe. Playing as a member of several special-forces units and armed with the most advanced weaponry, players work with Delta operators and reunite with familiar characters to enter a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse as they race across the globe to stop a mad man before it's too late. Modern Warfare 3 advances the 60 fps Modern Warfare tech to deliver exhilarating, action-packed experiences across Single Player, Special Ops and Online Multiplayer modes.
- Call of Duty Elite - Designed from the ground up to integrate with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty Elite gives players unprecedented control over their multiplayer experience, transforming it into a true social experience. The innovative online service ups the ante of any free service by offering a range of innovations on well-established multiplayer features, such as leaderboards, heat maps, and rich player data. Several other Elite features are completely new to the industry. For example, with Elite's new Groups feature players can join custom groups based on their likes, interests, or affiliations, and then have those groups follow you directly into the game. Additionally, players can customize weapons, attachments and perks and push them directly into the game menu. Those gamers who want to continue to play multiplayer out of the box, or purchase downloadable content à la carte throughout the year can continue to do so.
- Skylanders Spyro's Adventure - Skylanders Spyro's Adventure is an innovative new universe that brings the world of toys, video games and the Internet together in an unprecedented way. Through an inventive use of technology, players use the Portal of Power™ to bring their toys to life in a mystical new universe called Skylands. The Skylanders come to life inside the game across multiple gaming platforms including console, handheld and mobile devices and on the web, remembering achievements and level-ups wherever they go. The starter pack will include the game, three Skylanders figures and the Portal of Power™. The starter pack lets players experience the full adventure but there will be more than 30 other characters which further expand and enhance the experience. (Developed by Toys for Bob for the Wii™ and Nintendo 3DS™, Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Windows PC, mobile devices; not yet rated by the ESRB).
- PROTOTYPE 2 - PROTOTYPE 2 takes the unsurpassed carnage of the original PROTOTYPE and continues the experience of becoming the ultimate shape-shifting weapon. As the game's all-new infected protagonist - Sgt. James Heller - players will cut a bloody swath through the wastelands of post-viral New York Zero (NYZ) as they build up a genetic arsenal of deadly biological weapons and abilities, and hunt and consume their way toward the ultimate goal...to kill Alex Mercer. For more information, please visit www.facebook.com/Prototype. (Developed by Radical Entertainment for Xbox 360™, PlayStation®3 system and Windows PC; not yet rated by the ESRB.)
- Spider-Man: Edge of Time - Playing the roles of Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Man: Edge of Time propels gamers on a high-octane, adrenaline-fueled adventure in which the two versions of the heroic web-slinger must urgently work together across time to save each other and prevent a disaster that ultimately leads to the death of Amazing Spider-Man. Against the backdrop of a rich, tightly crafted narrative by acclaimed Marvel veteran Peter David, the game features two individual timelines evolving in parallel and narratively-driven "cause-and-effect" moments, uniquely utilizing "picture-in-picture" moments where the actions of one Spider-Man have immediate effects on the other Spider-Man and his surroundings. For more information, please visit www.facebook.com/HeroHQ. (Developed by Beenox for Xbox 360™, PlayStation®3 system, Wii, and Nintendo 3DS™; developed by Other Ocean for Nintendo DS™; not yet rated by the ESRB.)
- X-Men Destiny - In X-Men Destiny, players control the fate of one of three brand-new mutant characters forced to choose between saving humanity or ensuring its destruction. The game allows players to customize the path, powers and development of their character and to decide their role in the mutant cause alongside, or against, some of Marvel's greatest X-Men franchise characters. Gamers will evolve their mutant skills through a unique upgrade system that allows them to choose how they will mix and match the powers from their favorite X-Men and Brotherhood characters, then engage in fast and furious combat against a variety of opponents bent on defending their beliefs. For more information, please visit www.facebook.com/HeroHQ. (Developed by Silicon Knights for Xbox 360™, PlayStation®3 system, and Wii; developed by Other Ocean for Nintendo DS™; not yet rated by the ESRB.)
- The Transformers: Dark of the Moon video game thrusts players directly into an original prologue storyline to experience the epic battles on Earth that will shape the events of the upcoming blockbuster film. Armed with a new gameplay mechanic called Stealth Force™, fans will be able to instantly convert to a third, hybrid state that combines the weapons and firepower of Robot Mode with the agility and maneuverability of Vehicle Mode. Set in unique environments around the world such as the Jungles of Central America, Siberian military facilities, Urban Cityscapes and more, the game lets players assume the roles of a diverse roster of favorite TRANSFORMERS characters from the movie through a heart-pounding campaign to save mankind. (Developed by High Moon for Xbox 360™ and PlayStation®3 system; developed by Behaviour Interactive for Wii, Nintendo 3DS™, and Nintendo DS™; rated "T" for Teen on Xbox 360™ and PlayStation®3 system and "E10+" on Wii, Nintendo 3DS™, and Nintendo DS™ by the ESRB.)
- Wappy Dog - The next evolution of virtual pets arrives on the Nintendo DS™ family of handheld systems this holiday season in Wappy Dog, a toy puppy that interacts with the player through the Nintendo DS. Wappy Dog engages young gamers to raise their very own puppy in both the real and virtual worlds and teach it cool tricks, play mini-games together and even converse! Each pet is a fully personalized experience, enabling players to determine their pet's constantly evolving skills with every interaction and customize both the in-game version and physical dog with different colors and accessories. For more information, please visit www.WappyDog.com. (Developed by SEGA TOYS for the Nintendo DS™; not yet rated by the ESRB.)