- Intriguing Casus Belli system, where wars have specific goals from start to finish.
- Monarchs now belong to dynasties, with far reaching effects on the diplomatic model.
- More involving and powerful Holy Roman Empire and Papacy options.
- Special diplomatic options for Republics.
- Set your National Focus in a province to enhance growth and strengthen your hold in the region.
- Permanent Terra Incognita removed and replaced with impassable regions.
- Cultural Tradition allows better advisors in the same way that Military Tradition allows better generals and admirals.
- Spheres of Influence simulate the Great Game of the major powers.
- More dynamic pirates. Issue letters of marque to plague the sea zones of rival nations.
- Monarchs need to uphold their legitimacy in the eyes of their subjects
- Many other additions and improvements.
More articles about Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne