Andare all'Inferno. Translation: Go to Hell.
EA's Dante's Inferno will take gamers to the western world's most definitive view of the afterlife as created in the 13th century by the Italian poet Dante Alighieri in part one of his epic classic, "The Divine Comedy."
EA's Dante's Inferno tells an adapted story that focuses on delivering a blockbuster 3rd person action game experience while bringing Alighieri's depiction of Hell to the medium. Players assume the role of Dante, who descends into Hell after returning home to find his beloved Beatrice murdered, with Lucifer seducing her soul into the underworld. Dante sets out on a rescue mission to save Beatrice, but he soon realizes he is also in Hell to face his own demons and ultimately to redeem himself.
Also at the show, Visceral Games and Starz Media will screen the world premiere trailer of the “Dante’s Inferno” animated feature, which will be released on home entertainment platforms day-and-date with the EA game in 2010. These two brand extension projects are based on EA’s adaptation, telling Dante’s epic story from a fresh, contemporary perspective and further exposing the classic to an ever wider pop culture audience.
A special “Issue 0” preview edition of the Dante’s Inferno comic will be given away at Comic-Con International 2009 in San Diego next week July 23rd through July 26th at the EA (Booth #5213) and DC Comics (Booth #1915) booths. The game will also be featured at the following events during the show:
- “Go to Hell With Dante’s Inferno” Panel – EA, DC/WildStorm and Starz Media present a panel discussion about how each group has translated the various aspects of “The Divine Comedy” into a video game, a comic series, and an animated feature. Find out from the creative minds behind each adaptation, where they were faithful and where they invented and get a peek at EA’s game in development, and be among the first to watch the world premier trailer for the animated feature “Dante’s Inferno” co-produced by EA and Starz Media’s Film Roman animation studio. The panel is at 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM on Thursday, July 23rd in Room 8.
- Dante’s Inferno Comic Preview Issue Signings – Artist Diego Latorre and writer Christos Gage will be at the DC Comics booth signing free copies of the Dante’s Inferno comic preview issue. The signings will take place at 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Friday and Saturday and at Christos Gage will be signing them at the EA booth on Thursday from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM.
- Dante’s Inferno Limited Edition Lithograph Signing – Diego Latorre has created a special, limited edition lithograph exclusively for Comic-Con, with only 750 copies available. He will be signing these copies at the EA Booth. These signings will take place on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM.
- Play the Dante’s Inferno Game – One of 2010’s most highly anticipated action-adventure games will be playable for all show attendees at the EA booth during all exhibition hours!
Illustrated by Diego Latorre (The Incredible Hulk) and written by Christos Gage (X-Men/Spider-Man, Wildcats) the Dante’s Inferno six-issue comic miniseries will go on sale beginning in December 2009. Created by Visceral Games, Dante’s Inferno is set in the poem’s vividly imagined nine circles of hell – limbo, lust, gluttony, greed, anger, violence, heresy, fraud and treachery. Players take Dante on an epic descent through hell, battling their way through a terrifying gauntlet of demons to reclaim the soul of his beloved Beatrice. The Dante’s Inferno comic will highlight the action-packed moments in the game, and will also deliver more perspective on Beatrice’s experience, adding more depth to the game’s story and exploring more of the poem’s dramatic depiction of the underworld.
“Dante Alighieri’s “The Divine Comedy” is an incredibly rich piece of source material. It is a literary classic teeming with demons, monsters, danger and doom. It is the perfect backdrop to our action-adventure story,” said Jonathan Knight, executive producer of Dante’s Inferno. “We are extremely excited to be working with great partners like WildStorm and Starz Media to expand the story and deliver our adaptation to other powerful media.”
“When Christos and I saw the early gameplay demo of the game, our jaws just hit the floor,” said Hank Kanalz, Vice President and General Manager, WildStorm. “The nature of this game, as well as the original work, inspired WildStorm to take a unique approach in the creative. Diego Latorre’s art is outstanding and atypical for a game-based comic. EA has really set the bar high, and we strive to achieve or surpass the mark with this book.”
Players will take Dante through nine unique circles of Hell as mapped out and described by Alighieri: limbo, lust, gluttony, greed, anger, heresy, violence, fraud and treachery. Each circle will showcase its own distinct look, with demons, monsters, damned and geography that are crafted straight from the poem's vivid descriptions.
To take down the demons of Hell, Dante is outfitted with two primary weapons: the Scythe he takes from Death and the Holy Cross given to him by Beatrice, which has spiritual powers that will help Dante collect souls and spells from the creatures he defeats on his journey. The game also features a deep upgrade system so gamers can customize their abilities to their specific gameplay style, something they'll need as Dante comes face to face with Hell's fiercest beasts and bosses. If successful, Dante will be able to tame certain beasts, exacting their will and turning Hell's punishments back on itself.
Built on the same technology as the award-winning Dead Space, Dante's Inferno will deliver a fast, fluid and responsive combat experience running at 60 frames per second, a must-have for the action adventure genre. The game is being built by Visceral Games, with the same attention to polish the studio has become known for with Dead Space.
- An Epic Adaptation of a Classic – Based on part one of Dante Alighieri's classic poem "The Divine Comedy," Dante's Inferno is a 3rd person action adventure game that takes Dante on an epic journey through Hell as he seeks to rescue the soul of his beloved Beatrice.
- The Nine Circles of Hell – Just like the poem, players will descend through Dante's unique nine circles of Hell: limbo, lust, gluttony, greed, anger, heresy, violence, fraud and treachery. Each circle features distinct environments, enemies and story elements befitting the sins committed by their inhabitants.
- Control the Beasts of Hell – Dante's Inferno features large scale beasts and bosses, some of which Dante will be able to fully tame, utilizing them to throw back Hell's wrath to its minions.
- Fast, Addictive, Responsive Combat – Dante fights through the nine circles armed with Death's Scythe and Beatrice's Holy Cross, with magic powers and a deep, customizable upgrade system helping the player take full advantage of a fast and fluid gameplay experience that will never run at lower than 60 frames per second.
- Bring Hell With You Wherever You Go – Dante's Inferno gives PSP owners the same level of fast, responsive gameplay through all nine detailed and unique circles of hell the team is aiming to achieve on the consoles.
- Visceral Games Stamp of Approval – From the award-winning studio that created the critically-acclaimed Dead Space, Dante's Inferno will receive the same relentless focus on quality and polish Visceral Games has become known for.
Dante’s Inferno is shipping in 2010 for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and the PSP.
More articles about Dante's Inferno