Acting as a perfect complement to the PSP’s design and portability, NBA ’08 introduces a number of brand new quick action mini-games that players can enjoy anytime, anywhere. All-new carnival-style games, as well as contests such as Fast Break, Block-a-Shot, and Alley-Oop, are all available to provide fast and engaging action that further adds to the stable of traditional and non-traditional basketball gameplay. Additionally, players will experience a more challenging Season Mode, where player management and balancing team chemistry come into play. Refined gameplay mechanics and Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) also help to create a more realistic and action-oriented gameplay experience. With an enhanced Conquest Mode and host of new mini-games, as well as downloadable content and expanded audio commentary, NBA ’08 looks to take the portable NBA hoops crown once again.
- Enhanced Conquest Mode – NBA ’08 brings back the critically acclaimed Conquest Mode, allowing players to once again participate in a game of territory acquisition and management. This year, gamers will be able to cash in awards to upgrade player attributes as well as home city amenities, providing for a number of team skill upgrades.
- All-New Suite of Mini-Games – In addition to returning classics such as HORSE, Dodgeball, Own the Court, PlayStation Skills Challenge, and 3-Point Contest, NBA ’08 introduces a new set of challenging mini-games, further adding to the portfolio of quick action skills contests:
- Shooting Bricks – Players will use a basketball to break apart sections of bricks to clear levels (based on the original Arkanoid arcade game).
- Breakaway – Quick running game where users can alternate playing offense and defense in a 3-on-2 situation.
- Elimination – A team-based game where gamers win by scoring a set number of points with each of their players. As gamers reach their point quota, they are removed from the team and remaining players receive various power-ups. The first team to remove all of their players wins.
- New Carnival-Style Mini-Games – With returning mini-game classics such as Pop-a-Shot, Pinball, and Skee-ball, NBA ’08 adds games such as Fast Break, Block-a-Shot, and Alley-Oop, each of which allow players to earn tickets for unlockable items.
- Improved Season Mode – Season mode features such as simulation, trades, free agent lists, and injuries, are now enhanced with elements of player management and team chemistry settings that add complexity to each season and continue to deliver challenging basketball.
- New Downloadable Content – Updated pinball boards will be released to consumers regularly after launch and team roster updates will be made available on a weekly basis.
- Enhanced Play-by-Play and All-New Commentary – Get play-by-play from Ian Eagle and color commentary from Mark Jackson, as they return to provide the most comprehensive in-depth analysis.
- Pick Up mode – Players will alternate choosing from 10 randomly selected NBA players and match up with the CPU or another player in an outdoor full-court game.
- Highlight Reel – In addition to instant replay, players will have the opportunity to re-live each stellar play and pivotal moment from a completed game.
- Realistic Animations – Running at 60 FPS, NBA ’08 incorporates tandem animation technologies to produce ultra realistic player interactions. Additionally, motion capture data delivers smooth gameplay and lifelike player movements.
- NBA License – NBA ‘08 incorporates 41 authentic NBA teams including throwback versions.
- Ladder Challenge – Compete in a challenging mini-game or exhibition mode series and earn reward tickets for working to the top of the ladder.
- Wireless Multiplayer Gameplay – Compete head-to-head against friends and basketball fans around the country with Ad Hoc connectivity of up to four PSP systems, or link to a network via a wireless local area network (VLAN) access point for multiplayer action nationwide.