Players take on the role of a mild-mannered blue-collar worker who evolves into a charismatic and fearless freedom fighter obsessed with finding and freeing his brother, who has been taken hostage along with other New Yorkers by the Soviets.
The game kicks into high gear as the player recruits and leads an army of urban guerillas to take on the Soviet threat in the streets of New York City.
Freedom: The Battle for Liberty Island provides two layers of gameplay: 1) A strategic turn-based mode that centers on base operations in an underground sewer system and 2) An action mode that unfolds in the streets where fierce battles are won or lost and resources are captured.
The player and his fellow fighters wage their war with various types of single and two-handed weapons as well as unarmed combat martial arts maneuvers in their quest for freedom.
Because wars are not won alone, a key component of the game depends on the player's ability to recruit and lead fellow New Yorkers in the battle against the Red Menace. A simple command system allows the player to give orders to his band of urban guerillas to carry out critical missions.
There are high rewards and penalties for wins and losses in Freedom: The Battle for Liberty Island. A Charisma-based Recruiting System awards points for rescuing freedom fighters or capturing vital installations, allowing the player to recruit more men. Charisma decreases, as men are lost in battle, resulting in less control over the resistance movement.
- Character evolution that transforms the main character from an average civilian to the toughest Freedom Fighter in the world.
- Turn-based strategy element enables players to pick their own mission, each with a multitude of strategies and different outcomes.
- Intense, in-your-face urban guerilla warfare scenarios ranging from small sabotage missions to large battles where the player has to conquer enemy installations.
- Charisma-based Recruiting System gives players points for rescuing prisoners or capturing key installations. Points are also taken away if fellow freedom fighters are sent into battle and killed.
- Variety of weapons including machine guns, rocket propelled grenades, and Molotov Cocktails.
- Environments will evolve as time passes.
- Enhanced rendering technology via Io Interactive's "Glacier" engine that lends to amazing 3D special effects such as real-time lighting, rain, snow, smoke and explosions.
- Rich environmental audio such as shouting when in battle, barking out commands and music setting the pace and mood of the gameplay action.
- Multiplayer support -- up to eight players on the PC version (LAN/Internet) and up to four players via split-screen mode on the console versions.