Created by the same renowned team responsible for many of Stardock's leading titles, Galactic Civilizations II takes place in the distant future, when mankind has become a space-faring civilization and must contend with other extraterrestrial powers for domination of the galaxy. The sequel is a true evolution for the series, with rethought fundamentals and exciting new changes.
- Ship Design - Players can research technology to use when designing their own ship classes, and there are also ways for players to alter the exterior appearance of the ships.
- Unique Planets - Different classes of planets offer a variety of locations to explore and exploit.
- New Map System - Planets are now part of the map, and multiple players can share the same star system - player influence is based on planets rather than sectors.
- Many Distinct Races - Pick any of the 10 races, or create your own. Each race has its own unique advantages and disadvantages.
- 3D Engine - A new engine delivers greatly improved visuals, which adapt to systems' capabilities to deliver the best experience possible.
- Stacks of ships as well as real fleets that can be taken advantage of in combat.
- Enhanced Combat System - Ships have 3 types of attack (beam weapons, mass drivers, and missile weapons) and 3 types of defense (shields, armor, and point defense).
- Non-Linear Campaign - There's more than one way to rule a galaxy!
- Both Random and Pre-made Maps - Get to know the ins and outs of favourite maps or explore new space.
- Enhanced AI - Challenging opponents are always at hand.
- Revised Star Bases - Several different types of star bases offering their own improvement trees.
- Cleaner and more linear technology tree, with focus on different categories of technology (weapons, propulsion, economics, culture, etc.).
Galactic Civilizations II is scheduled for release around Feb 2006.
For more information on Galactic Civilizations II, please visit http://www.galciv2.com