The Settlers Rise of an Empire will focus on building larger and more fortified cities as well as planning and optimization in a medieval world. Attributes that are typical of The Settlers series are once again the focus of the game. Gamers create magnificent cities and inhabit them with hundreds of settlers going about their daily lives.
The settlers inhabit a richly detailed world with different continents and diverse vegetation. The gaming environment is enhanced by the best graphics seen in a strategy game to date, inviting gamers to become immersed in their worlds. As the king and ruler in The Settlers Rise of an Empire, gamers control the story of their people using a dramatic story-based campaign, enjoy the prosperity of their cities, and closely observe each individual settler as they go about their daily tasks.
In this game, the player builds lively, bustling towns in a medieval world. Everything is visible, lovingly animated and realistic. Each settler has his or her own daily routine, with a range of different actions and behaviours that can be observed by the player at all times. This enables him to get the best out of his Settlers, build up a flourishing economy, tend to his settlers' needs, and protect his empire against danger from the outside. By expanding his empire, the player can aspire to becoming a legendary king or queen.
The most popular features of the predecessors in the series have been retained, and many of the fans desires and wishes were incorporated into the new game to create a very special Settlers atmosphere. The result is a realistic medieval world, captured in intricate detail. The game features an immersive, yet transparent economic system based on the resources, wares and goods produced by the settlers in their various trades and occupations.
- The primary objective of the game is to create large, lively medieval towns.
- The settlers interact with each other in a completely natural way and have wants and needs of their own.
- Female settlers appear for the first time in the series: Men and women fall in love with each other and marry.
- The lively, detailed game world is rich in animal and plant life.
- The settlers' busy life is presented in lovingly rendered animations that show what is going on in a transparent way.
- The world is divided into four climatic zones with changes of season and weather which influence expansion and resource gathering.
- The game's instant accessibility and gentle learning curve ensure long-lasting fun; even in advanced game missions, new features are introduced.
- All interventions by the player are reflected in the behaviour of his subjects and made transparent through the animations in the game world.
- Starting with a small settlement, the player builds up flourishing towns, maintains trade relations, and claims land and villages. This requires diplomatic skills.
- Mining, gathering resources, and food production result from wise planning and the various occupations of the settlers.
- Goods transport is optimized through skilful road planning.
- Upgrading buildings step-by-step improves the effectiveness of the economy and towns.
- By hiring travelling entertainers and organizing fairs, the player acts as a matchmaker by enabling male and female settlers to get to know each other.
- The player can build walls to protect his towns from enemy attacks. In military actions, the player must prove that he has built up his empire in such a way that it can defend itself effectively.
- Missions featuring noble knights with various skills accompany the player through the epic storyline penned by Jeff Grubb.
- Included in the game: dynamic single player campaign, freeplay mode with a multitude of maps, numerous multiplayer options via LAN and Internet, and a map editor.
The Settlers Rise of an Empire will be released throughout Europe and North America in September 2007.
More articles about The Settlers: Rise of An Empire