Discover what lies beyond the edge of evolution. An all-new, 3rd person open-world/action game, Prototype puts gamers at the helm of Alex Mercer – a genetically mutated shape-shifter with no memory of his past hell-bent on solving the mystery of his existence – as he tears through a densely populated New York City moving with Parkour-style fluidity and consuming anybody that gets in his way…assuming their physical identity, memories and abilities. Fueled by three key factions consisting of Alex, the Blackwatch (military) and a viral outbreak known as the Infected, players will venture into a deep, dark conspiracy 40 years in the making!
- Taking the open-world genre to breathtaking new heights, Prototype is an original IP featuring Alex Mercer, an all-new anti-hero framed within a conspiracy-drenched storyline that gives open-world/action games a fresh and well deserved kick in the pants. With no memory of his past, Alex Mercer’s sole mission is to find out who’s responsible for what’s happened to him…and make them pay. As players evolve Alex and his shape-shifting abilities throughout the story, they’ll incrementally learn more and more about his tortured past while combating the lethal Blackwatch forces and the Infected. Gamers will also delve into the deep back-story mechanic known as the ‘Web of Intrigue’ and witness a conspiracy 40 years in the making spiral out of control… revealing the Prototype’s past and defining his future.
- Alex Mercer is a shape-shifter with amazing powers of combat, destruction and deception. As Alex, gamers can consume and absorb any living person they come into contact with while moving through Prototype’s New York City backdrop, and as such, he can assume their identity and gain access to their memories and special abilities/powers, each time bringing him closer to solving the growing conspiracy. Further, Alex can mix and match genetic traits to create incredibly deadly biological weapons, including razor sharp claws, blades, armored skin, shields and more. Used correctly, Alex Mercer – the Prototype – is the ultimate shape-shifting weapon.
- Prototype’s “Deceive or Destroy” gameplay allows players the choice to either blend in with the crowded population and covertly progress through the story, or fully unleash Alex’s powers, moving through New York City as a walking slaughterhouse – shape-shifting in plain site, consuming civilians on the street, commandeering military vehicles, including Apache helicopters and Abrams tanks and causing destruction at every turn. Further, Prototype supports online co-op multiplayer throughout the entire story, opening up an entirely new realm of gameplay tactics.
- Alex Mercer’s movement in Prototype is based on the art of ‘Parkour’ – a French term meaning to move from one point to another as quickly as possible principally using the abilities of the human body. Being more than human, nothing in Prototype’s bustling New York City setting is an obstacle for Alex. Players will vault over hundreds of cars, run vertically up the sides of skyscrapers, scale huge distances in single jumps and more.
- Prototype’s open-world playground is New York City done right! The city is jam-packed with thousands of pedestrians, hundreds of cars and is truly a bustling, thriving representation of the world’s most famous city. The population is extremely dense, providing for an endless feast of gameplay possibilities, so when things start to explode players really get the feeling that the city is caving in around them. Furthermore, in reference to some of Prototype’s boss battles…well, let’s just say that there’s definitely a need for a setting as big as Manhattan.
- No stranger to the open-world game development space, Radical Entertainment is the developer behind Prototype, and touts a wide catalog of successful titles, including the highly acclaimed The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Simpsons Hit & Run and Scarface: The World is Yours. Using their all-new ‘Titanium’ proprietary game engine, Prototype brings gamers to the forefront of open-world gaming with mind-blowing visuals, explosive on-screen action and the first game ever to support Neural THX 7.1 Surround Sound.
Prototype debuts on the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC in fall 2008.
More articles about Prototype