Developed by SEGA of Japan, under the guidance of Shigeru Miyamoto, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games will take players to lifelike Olympic venues where they can choose from a legendary cast of playable characters, including new faces to the series to be revealed later this year. Following the phenomenal worldwide popularity of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, which has sold over 10 million copies worldwide, this fresh gaming experience will feature completely new Olympic Winter Games events from the official competition schedule including Alpine Skiing and Speed Skating with more events announced throughout the year.
Tailored to the specific system controls, Nintendo DS and Wii gamers will enjoy completely unique experiences thanks to each platform having its own specific gameplay features and modes. Players of all skill levels will enjoy the intuitive controls of both the Wii and NDS systems, in both single and multiplayer gaming modes. The Wii game will offer an even richer multiplayer experience offering co-op and competitive gameplay where the Nintendo DS brings an intense competitive element using the Nintendo DS wireless capabilities. Additionally, one of the new features to be found in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is the inclusion of the Wii Balance Board which can be used in some events featured in the Wii version, allowing for a more interactive and realistic gaming experience.
The Nintendo platform-exclusive Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games has sold over 6 million units worldwide since its launch in October 2009.
With the Olympic Winter Games Opening Ceremony on February 12th marking the start of the Games themselves, SEGA has big plans to support the title across the globe with increased marketing activity. New television campaigns for the game are planned for North America (running from February 1st to 28th) and other major European territories including France, Benelux, Austria and the Nordic countries. As Olympic Winter Games fever hits, SEGA will also be participating in events celebrating the Games around the world in cities such as London, Washington DC and San Francisco.
“The original Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games was a huge success for SEGA” commented Mike Hayes, CEO for SEGA America and SEGA Europe. “Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is one of the leading third party games for Wii and DS and we were confident the title would have longevity within retail. The start of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games is a perfect time to ensure SEGA is at the forefront of the consumer’s mind when it comes to recreating that Olympic Winter Games feeling in living rooms everywhere.”
Key Features :
- A multitude of events: Prepare to compete in the Olympic Games with your friends and family! Compete in real Olympic events along with over-the-top Dream Events offer surprising objects and new character-specific moves. Sharpen your team-playing skills with new simultaneous cooperative play on the Wii and get your fill of head-to-head rivalry in the popular competitive events on both the Wii and DS.
- Choose from an assortment of Mario and Sonic characters: Players can choose from their favorite Mario and Sonic characters, including Luigi, Tails, Yoshi, and Knuckles, each with unique movements and stats. A few new faces, including Donkey Kong and Metal Sonic, have also been added to the teams!
- Intuitive controls and full use of hardware:
- Wii: Players are challenged to perform a variety of movements using intuitive controls on the Wii Remote/Nunchuk and Wii Balance Board as they simulate real-life movements, and skate, ski and snowboard their way to glory. Single, multi-player and co-op offer fun for players of all ages!
- DS: Intuitive and accessible gameplay mechanics use the stylus, buttons and D-pad. Wi-Fi ranking and wireless functionalities add to the single and multi-player fun! Download events from a single cart for multiplayer fun anytime, anywhere.
- Wii modes of play: Compete in single events in the individual mode and team mode, or challenge your friends to an entire Olympic competition! A new “Festival Mode” also allow players to experience the full campaign (single and multi-player). This includes new “boss” competitions against unique Mario and Sonic characters.
- New DS-exclusive “Adventure Tours”: Developed for the DS audience in mind, not only can a user enjoy a single player Olympic Winter Games sporting experience, but a new in-depth story mode also awaits! This promises the player an exciting adventure filled with diverse missions, boss encounters and a chance to save the 2010 Winter Games.
More articles about Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games