The Lord of the Rings: War in the North lead designer Andre Maguire revealed that it will be adding two additional maps to the retail game for everybody to enjoy. The Osgiliath and Lorien maps were previously planned to be pre-order exclusives at Best Buy and Gamestop, but "after seeing the passion from the Community and Fans for this mode of play" it was decided to let everybody enjoy them and just add them to the retail package (thanks Blues).
In The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, players can become the heroes in the great battle of the North as part of the epic War of the Ring. Exploring unseen lands, story elements and characters from Middle-earth as well as elements familiar from past feature films, gamers will experience extensive character customization and development, expansive co-op gameplay options and upgradeable weapons, skills and special abilities.
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is an epic multiplayer action/RPG video game based on the renowned stories by J.R.R. Tolkien. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment holds the rights to develop video games based on both the literary and motion picture content from The Lord of the Rings, allowing Snowblind to explore original and familiar narrative elements in more than 12 areas, of which only three have been seen in the films. Breaking new ground as the first mature‐rated LOTR video game, The Lord of the Rings: War in the North evolves the RPG genre through innovative online, interdependent co‐op play for up to three players who form their own Fellowship and engage in brutal combat. Exploring previously unseen lands, story elements and characters as well as elements familiar from past feature films, gamers experience extensive character customization and development, expansive co-op gameplay options and upgradeable weapons, skills and special abilities. Players must play together or perish as they work to defeat Sauron’s forces in the North.
PC Specifications for The Lord of the Rings: War in the North.
- OS: Windows Vista/XP/ or Windows 7
- Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD 64 X2 4400
- Memory: 2 GB RAM/10GB free hard drive space
- Video Card: 2006 or later GeForce 8600 or Radeon HD 2600
In addition, the game supports Xbox 360 Controller for Windows as well as Parental Controls on Windows Vista and Windows 7. Please note that the game uses Steam so you'll need to activate the game on the Internet by registering for a Steam account and accepting the Steam Subscriber Agreement.
WBIE will also be releasing the game via OnLive, so whether you are looking for a downloadable or streaming solution, you should be covered!
- Create your own Fellowship ‐ Together, players and their friends will experience an epic, story‐based adventure through vast Middle‐earth to experience storylines and characters going beyond what has been seen in the feature films and previous games.
- Play as a team or perish! ‐ Social play is redefined through groundbreaking online, interdependent co‐op gameplay which enables three different gamers to play as a complementary group where individual skills enhance the success of each team member.
- Brutal Gameplay ‐ The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is the first M‐rated The Lord of the Rings game on the market, authentically derived from The Lord of the Rings lore and delivering on action RPG principles.
- Intricate Character Customization from RPG Powerhouse – Players choose from three playable races: Human, Elf or Dwarf. Extensive customization allows for meaningful and rewarding RPG gameplay including established loot and reward systems. Snowblind’s history and credibility as an action/RPG gameplay studio makes them the perfect choice for creating an epic LOTR RPG.
- Original Social Storyline ‐ Players will experience an original storyline created especially for the social, collaborative three‐player experience established within J.R.R. Tolkien’s lore and approved by the J.R.R. Tolkien estate
- Challenge Missions ‐ Special missions consist of defensive positioning and group raids for up to 3 players, built especially for co‐op challenges and not tied to the story.
More articles about The Lord of the Rings: War in the North