Earlier this month EA senior director of corporate communications John Reseburg confirmed Eletronic Arts was going to discontinuing its Online Pass, and now we have received details on how exactly this will play out.
Online Pass was a unique, one-time-use code included with new EA games that allowed EA players to access online features. If the game was not purchased new, the online pass code might have been used already and the player would need to purchase a new Online Pass.
For new EA titles, Online Pass will no longer be needed or included. Additionally, we are in the process of eliminating Online Pass requirements from existing EA games. This process will take several weeks. For some games, the prompt to enter an Online Pass code will no longer appear; for others, you will still need to download and install an Online Pass, but they will be available free of charge from the Xbox Live Marketplace or PlayStation Store.
The latest releases of EA Sports games are the first. Over the next several weeks, Online Pass will either be removed completely, or will be available for free in the PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Marketplace.
Here are a list of some free expansion/Online passes on Xbox Live
- Alice: Madness Returns - American McGee's Alice
- Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Bad Company 2 VIP
- Bulletstorm - Online Pass
- Dragon Age Origins - The Stone Prisoner
- Dragon Age 2 - The Black Emporium
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Online Pass
- Mass Effect 2 - Cerberus Network (download from xbox 360 only)
- Medal of Honor - Online Pass (download from xbox 360 only)
- Shift 2 Unleashed - Online Pass
- Skate 3 - Skate Share Pack